I had such high hopes for this game so the disappointment hits especially hard.
The game looks like a relaxing exploration game with some story, wholesome characters, fluid movement and some fights here and there - and all of this in coop. I was looking forward to the characters and story, as well as the exploration by gliding over the map with my friend. Sadly, there is too much that distracts from exactly this for "haven" to be a good game:
- the coop mode is a joke and absolutely useless. you have to agree on dialogue, can only move together (only one person can control the "flying"), there is no real advantage of playing this together
- the flying controls are really bad and everything but satisfying. you constantly glitch, your character moves randomly, you perform uturns, characters move much further than they were supposed to and slide over a ledge, ...
- the distances you regularly have to cross because you have to move back and forth between the base and exploring is also annoying. probably half of my playtime was spent flying the exact same way i've flown x times before.
- the story is nice but spread so far between other "content" that it only pops up every now and again. "haven" could have been a cool visual novel or something but this format didn't do it much good
- the exploration is a joke, sadly. many places look very much the same and if you stumble across a building or something, you have to watch from the outside, while the characters go explore.
- then there are the fights. they are too big a part of this game imo. There is no real strategy behind them either, you have to choose between two different kinds of attack and hope that it will stick. Even on easy difficulty they will drain you HP so quickly that it feels more like a mechanic to prolong playtime by having to return to base to heal up (becase god fobid you just take some meds or eat something to heal up while on the go - that is only possible at certain locations).
- the character moments are the only redeeming factor of this game but they are drowned by all the issues this game has. the relationship that is portrayed is real and authentic, not the romantic fairytale many other games/ stories tell. sadly, i was not able to enjoy this part enough between all the annoying mechanics.